The project concerned the elaboration of a study and the support of the designation of the "Biosphere Reserve of Parnon - Malea" in the MaB-UNESCO program.
The project components include:
- Collection, data recording and area evaluation
- Suggestion for zoning
- Suggestions for information and consultation actions
- Cartographic and photographic documentation
- Suggested management plan for the newly created AB
- Participation in the consultation process
The whole project is based on the initiative of Regional Development Company of Parnonas (PARNONAS S.A.) who dynamically supports and organizes the whole process, in cooperation with the municipalities of the region.
The World Network of Biosphere Reserves currently consists of 701 members in 124 countries. There are only 2 Biosphere Reserves in Greece: Olympus National Park and Samaria National Park